Learn What It Is Like To Care For A Horse
Wilderness Tours Resort and Horse Country Campground team up to offer a unique and exclusive outdoor adventure and unique education in horsemanship an hour West of Ottawa.
“Life On The Ranch”… Introduction To Owning Your Own Horse Weekend Boot camp is a 3 day/2 night package includes camping and daily activities with your horse as well as some resort vacation fun mixed in. This packaged fun and educational experience is ideal for families with young children or couples that are considering owning and caring for their own horse.
Upon arrival you will be greeted by a guide that will work with you for the weekend and you get to meet your assigned horse!
Your horse stays with you for the weekend (actually you will be assigned a campsite with a corral where your horse will be staying). Your “job” over the next 3 days is to care for and learn about many aspects of owning and looking after a horse.
The areas covered over the course of the weekend, under the guidance and leadership of one of our guides, will include both theory and practical, hands-on experience including;
- Constructing Paddocks and Cleaning Stalls
- Equine Feeding and Nutrition
- Vet and health care
- Equine emergency first aid
- Tack, saddles and equipment
- Budget and financial review
The best part is its not ALL work. Included in your weekend package will be;
- 2 night camping in one of our prospector tent campsites
- A 2 hour learn to trail ride experience including guided horseback ride
- Full resort access and fun at Canada’s #1 outdoor adventure resort, Wilderness Tours including beach, hot tub, swimming pool and recreation center
- Meal plan including two breakfasts, three lunches and two dinners (buffet-style)
- Campfire package including firewood and campfire snacks package
- Option to add a day of white water rafting or kayaking the famous Ottawa River rapids
CLOTHING AND FOOTWEAR: All horseback riders MUST provide their own proper riding attire including footwear with a closed toe/heel, and full length jeans or pants, t-shirt or western shirt. NO flip flops, sandals or running shoes are permitted. NO shorts, bikini tops or swimming trunks are permitted.
Helmets are mandatory for all riders and we provide them at no additional charge. Our total focus is on your safety and the horse’s safety at all times.
HORSE ASSIGNMENT: All horses are assigned by the trail guide (customers do NOT get to pick their horse).